Friday, February 5, 2010

Viva Nutella!

It's February 5, 2010, and worldwide, Nutella lovers are celebrating their love for this "chocolaty hazelnut spread" by celebrating the fourth annual "World Nutella Day." The brainchild of three bloggers ― Sara from Ms. Adventures in Italy, Michelle from Bleeding Espresso, and Shelley from At Home in Rome ― World Nutella Day is "a day to celebrate, get creative with, and most importantly, to EAT NUTELLA," posts Michelle.

It was only recently that I acquired a taste for Nutella, though my second grader has been a fan for a while. My friend, Janet, sends her second grader to school with a wheat bagel topped with Nutella every day for lunch (cause that's what he likes). My very picky second grader thinks that's "the bomb" as well! (Hey, if she's gonna eat it, I'll send it!)

In the past I've made Giada's Chocolate-Hazelnut Gelato, and when I hosted Italian Bunko Night recently, one of my dessert offerings was her Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti. The interesting thing about this creamy, nutty creation is, even if you don't like it on a spoon right out of the jar (as I do), as an ingredient in gelato or biscotti, the flavor lightens and you may just be surprised.

To celebrate World Nutella Day, I've chosen to try an easy recipe I think the kids will like: Easy Nutella Toffee Pie from Steph at Plain Chicken. If that doesn't sound appealing, many more recipes can be found at the World Nutella Day website. But I tell you, I licked the bowl and can't wait for dessert!

Happy World Nutella Day, friends! Mangia...

7 comments:

paulbaker said...

I'm trying to decide what beer goes with it.

missy said...

Hey, Paul. I think it's a toss up.

Maria, you are the second person who has raved about this product... I'm off to Walmart!

Wendy said...

We love Nutella!! I am so glad you shared the other blogs and recipes. I will head over to check them out!!
Wendy

Maria M. Boyer said...

Paul -- beer goes with bratwurst and nothing else! Have you never been to Wisconsin? Best brats in the universe!

steph said...

Your pie looks wonderful! I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did!

Maria M. Boyer said...

Steph, we did! It's an EXCELLENT recipe! Thanks for sharing it on your blog in the first place!

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

This really sounds so good...thank you for sending it in to WND!