Friday, February 26, 2010

Well Said…

“There is a peachy golden haze over Italy that makes green fields more vivid, gives brown earth a depth and people a romantic glow,” writes Adriana Trigiani in her national bestseller, Big Stone Gap. “I think there is something different about the light.”

“When the sun goes down,” she continues, “the sky turns a vivid blue-black, the stars seem closer, and the edges don’t fade out toward the horizon. The same saturated blue hems the skyline that nestles the moon.”

I have a lasting memory of a view out the window of a relative’s house in Calabria. The year is 1977, and my brother and I have been relegated to the top-floor guest bedroom for the night. There is no glass or screen in the window – just a hole in the wall that allows the fresh mountain air to come in, and permits us the view of a lifetime. For 33 years I have kept that memory in my head and my heart, and one day soon, I hope to return.

In the meantime, I sit in my office in our 1958 American-style ranch home. The walls are cold, thanks to old insulation and the home’s brick construction. I can barely breathe, the windows not having been opened in nearly five months. It strikes me as the perfect night for a dish of pasta with a quick marinara sauce. It’s Friday, it’s Lent, it’s the best idea I’ve had all day. Buon week-end, gli amici. Tenere in caldo.



Marinara





For other good recipes posted today from around the globe, check out Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!

Maria's Marinara Sauce on Foodista

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Maria, I love everyone of Andriana Trigiani's books and I love your story, too! It is also a dream we have to visit Italy one day!
Can I feature your blog on Sunday? Let me know what you think...
Wendy :)

Beth said...

Lovely, Maria!

Kim said...

Hey! Wendy sent me here. I'm from Jersey and I love meeting other bloggers who are in my neck of the woods. You have a great blog. Stop by mine for a visit sometime!
Kim

Mum in Bloom said...

Oh my an authentic marinara sauce! I remember going to dinner at a friend's years ago & her parents were French (mother) and Italian (father). They owned a restaurant and INSISTED on making and bringing the marinara sauce she was going to serve us. They kindly dropped it off then left. Marinara is, obviously, serious business. I'm so pleased to have your recipe. Thank you for the inspiration :)

Love the Decor! said...

Just found you through Wendy and Boy am I looking forward to following your great blog!!