Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Moving Day

Here I am night-writing again, though I’ll wait till morning to post. I suppose it’s the excitement of what I’m about to say that has me clicking away on my keyboard instead of peacefully dreaming in my bed. With this post, I welcome you … to the new and improved “Mangia, Figlie” blog!

Early on in this adventure, I was reading a lot of other blogs, to get a feel for the craft and see what other people were blogging about. Blogger.com has proved to be a fine home for my little stories and recipes – it’s easy to write and to post photos, and making corrections and enhancing my site is a snap. The one downfall is, there aren’t many page layouts (aka templates) available … which means many other blogs had the same background as mine. If you know me at all, you know that just wouldn’t do. I strive to be different from the masses and decided I needed a background all my own.

That’s when I enlisted the help of my friend Wayne, a website guru extraordinaire (and the husband of my friend and former coworker, Renée). Wayne’s company, Kessler Freedman, has been in the web design business since the early days – 1995 to be exact. I sent him a few links to styles I liked, he made some suggestions, we perused photos for purchase, and he used his genius to bring you this wonderful new design. I am especially fond of the colors and old-time feel. It perfectly matches the low-resolution, but endearing photos I throw in every once in a while. It’s exactly what I’d hoped for!

The second part to this move is the result of an email I received from a reader. A native Italian now living in Vermont, she had found my blog through a Facebook group we both belong to (I was pitching my blog there), and she noticed I had misspelled the title. I know, I know … I make a professional living as a copyeditor; yes, I do see the irony in the situation. And yes, my OCD tendencies have kicked in and all things “Mange, Fille” (the French for “Eat, Child”) are now correctly “Mangia, Figlie."

So here we are – new name, new look, new URL, new email. And so we come to the final business of the move – this post’s recipe. Hmm…

When I picture moving day, I think of a long day of hard work, an aching back and tired bones. What would be the perfect end to such a day in this little Italian online world I’ve created? Of course! A nice cup of espresso doused with a bit of anisette, and a bite of biscotti!

Unfortunately, I have no family recipe to share for biscotti (or anisette, for that matter). But I do have a favorite recipe from Williams Sonoma, whose chocolate hazelnut biscotti have been tested in my kitchen many times in the last 10 years. You can use the link below to find the recipe and try it for yourself. I think you’ll find the biscotti crunchy and satisfying.

In the meantime, once again I welcome you – benvenuti. I hope you will visit again soon.


Maria Boyer on Foodista

2 comments:

Tess Wittler said...

I love the new look of your blog, Maria. Beautiful!

Beth said...

The new template is lovely! I'm glad you fixed your title/url too, I know that would have bugged you (while the rest of us --except the VT reader) would have remained blissfully ignorant).