Thursday, May 20, 2010

One Moment of Brilliance

I am a pretty modest person by nature. I don’t necessarily need to be or even like to be the center of attention, and when I am, I tend to be pretty self-effacing. But I have an admission. Upon rare occasion, I do have moments of brilliance … and I was reminded of one of those moments as I was prepping my marinade for a tonight’s London Broil.

The marinade was simple: some red wine, a few cloves of crushed garlic, Montreal Steak seasoning … probably not even a good marinade for that matter. It’s missing a healthy oil, right? And probably needs some fresh herbs? Well, that’s all I used. That was not the brilliance.

This was the brilliance:

 P5200003

Using a 187 ml bottle of wine, instead of a full bottle. This may be my one original idea of my lifetime. It didn’t come from anyone on the Food Network, and it didn’t come from either of my brothers, or my mother, or my grandmother, or any of my aunts. The idea was all mine … and came about several years ago when I didn’t want to open a full bottle of wine when I only needed a cup as an ingredient.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I like wine … I mean, drinking wine. But polishing off a full bottle after I’ve used only a cup … is beyond my current state of being. I lost tolerance during my child-bearing years, and I’ve never fully recovered.

So now I keep a stash of 187 ml bottles of white and red wine in my pantry. And after the half-cup or cup is measured out for whatever recipe I am concocting, this is what’s left …

 P5200004

… for my enjoyment … or in this case, for my husband’s enjoyment when he walked in the door from work tonight.

Would Martha sue if I said, “It’s a good thing”? Salut, i miei amici!

What? You were expecting a recipe and didn’t get one?
Click here to link to many wonderful recipes from Foodie Friday!

22 comments:

Wendy said...

Great idea! Will give this a try!!

Joe Ambrosino said...

That is brilliant if You can find a liquor store that sells half bottles. I haven't expressly looked for half bottles in New York, but I can not remember ever seeing any. I will have to make an effort to find some because I have the same problem plus a wife who doesn't drink!

Really Rainey said...

It IS brilliant AND you even get a small glass while you are cooking (of for hubby) I just love it! Bev-Mo here I come!

Cheers!
Have a great week end!
~Rainey~

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

Excellent idea, although I have to confess we never have a problem with leftover wine in our house! But it is a great idea for folks who do!!

ButterYum said...

We don't drink wine, but I do like to have some on hand for cooking so I do the same. The small bottles are adorable, and no waste!

:)
ButterYum

stephanie said...

Congratulations on your brilliance!!! I knew you had it in you!!

Melissa said...

Thank you for the idea. Hahaha that
is what you call brilliant mind.

Lori E said...

Well if you ever run out of the little ones and need to open a big one just let me know and I will come over and help you with it.
No, no...don't thank me. I am just a naturally thoughtful person.

RMontesano said...

You are past your child bearing years... damn, I was hoping for another neice! (or nephew)

RMontesano said...

*niece

Megan said...

I haven't expressly looked for half bottles in New York, but I can not remember ever seeing any. Great work.

Victoria said...

I almost forgot everything about my past. its glad to see some people don't forgot what they done in past. well, thanks for sharing. enjoy!

Diane said...

Great! I really like your Idea. Thanks for the share.

Lynn said...

Great information on your blog.Thank you for posting it.

Jane said...

I have to confess we never have a problem with leftover wine in our house! But it is a great idea for folks who do, thanx for the post, i must try this.

Kayla said...

I do like to have some on hand for cooking so I do the same. The small bottles are adorable, and no waste! thanx for posting.

Katie said...

I'd love to put wine in my recipe too..Its different..I don't drink wine but I love when I put it in foods. Cool blog! Keep on posting.

jillian said...

Nice i love liquor like that i wanna try them if i have time thanks for sharing very nice blog.

jean said...

Nice informative post! It was pleasure reading your post! thanks for the share!!

Christy said...

I have to confess we never have a problem with leftover wine in our house, anyway thanx for all this.

Jennifer said...

I will come over and help you with it.
No, no...don't thank me. I am just a naturally thoughtful person.

Brittany said...

I can not remember ever seeing any. I will have to make an effort to find some because I have the same problem plus a wife who doesn't drink!