Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Taste & Create: Sunday Morning Brunch

If you are a reader here, but don’t necessarily follow other blogs, you may not be familiar  with the many alliances formed among bloggers. There are “teams” of bloggers, who write about the same general topic and work to promote each other’s posts. There are also “awards” sent among bloggers – a nice little boost from one blogger to another saying something nice and again including links, so to further promote others’ blogs. And there are Mosaic Mondays and Tablescape Thursdays and Foodie Fridays.”

I tend not to get very involved in these “events” (for lack of a better term), for many reasons I do not wish to list … but mostly because, truth be told, I just am not all that much fun sometimes. In my defense, though, I have linked to Foodie Friday a few times. With that, I post a link to my ramblings and recipes on the host site, which brings many readers from around the world to Mangia, Figlie. And then I post a link to Foodie Friday here, which can lead you — my readers — to other interesting recipes as well.

I also participated in World Nutella Day, as you may remember. That one short post still leads readers to this blog, three months later. And if you go back to that February 5 post and use the link I posted, you will find an amazingly long and tempting list of all types of good eats, all made with Nutella!

In a similar vein, last week another blogger I “follow” mentioned she was taking part in The Bad Girl’s Kitchen “Taste & Create” event, which partners two participating food bloggers, then challenges each to try one of the other’s recipes and blog about it. That sounded like great fun to me — a chance to try something new and TandCdifferent — so I signed up and I’m here to talk about "Sunday Morning Brunch" from Min at the Bad Girl’s Kitchen. That’s right: I was partnered with the hostess!

It was fun making my way through the hundreds of recipes posted by Min over the past three years:

In the end, though, I opted for “Sunday Morning Brunch.” Min had me with her lead: “This recipe comes from my grandma.” Esattamente!

She goes on to say:

I got [the recipe] when I was looking through her recipe box this summer, and I decided to prepare it for a gathering … here at the ranch. This breakfast casserole is especially convenient for a large gathering because you put it together the night before, and refrigerate the casserole overnight.

I especially liked this part:

It is quite easy to put together, even after several glasses of wine. Or perhaps, ahem, many glasses of wine. Anyway, it's easy. And delicious.

I couldn’t agree more. On Saturday night, after a long day at our elementary PTO’s carnival, I came home and easily put together Min’s grandmother’s recipe.

In large bowl, mix a dozen eggs, a teaspoon of salt, a cup of milk,
a teaspoon of mustard, and a can of mushroom soup,
diluted with two-thirds of a cup of milk:

P5150001

In a 9x13” pan, layer eight slices of bread, diced;
one pound of sausage, cooked and drained;
one small can of mushrooms, and two cups of grated sharp cheddar cheese:

P5150002 

Cover with egg mixture:

P5150003

No glasses of wine were consumed, though one (or more) would have been welcomed. I shoved the prepped dish in the fridge, where I was instructed to leave it (covered) overnight, and I quickly fell asleep.

On Sunday morning, per the recipe instructions, I baked the breakfast casserole at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Here is the steaming hot result:

P5150006

“Sunday Morning Brunch” is easy to prepare, exceptionally tasty, and I’m happy to report that even the kids gave it a try. My son would prefer a non-mushroom version in the future, but generally liked the idea of the dish; and my daughter ate like she rarely does, almost clearing her plate. My husband and I agreed: this recipe is a keeper.

I will definitely be making Min’s grandmother’s “Sunday Morning Brunch” again, but for me the most fun of “Taste & Create” was adding a whole host of recipes to my want-to-try list. Hopefully, this little blogger exercise has done the same for you.

Did I forget to mention Min’s Key Lime Cupcakes? My mouth is watering just thinking about them.

(Click here to read Min’s original “Sunday Morning Brunch” post)
(Click here to view and print recipe)
(Click here to view other “Taste & Create” entries)

Sausage & Mushroom Strata on Foodista

5 comments:

Allie and Pattie said...

Looks like something my parents would love, but my picky family won't touch muchrooms They sure as heck didn't get that from my mushroom-loving DNA!) I love breakfast stratas!
xoxo Pattie

Wendy said...

Maria, This looks so delicious and what a fun party you partnered in! I will head over and check out the other recipes! It is always fun to read your posts and recipes!! Hope you're having a good week :)
Wendy

Simply Life said...

Oh that looks delicious!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love mushrooms so I'd have an extra large piece of this Maria...yummy!

Min said...

Maria, you've picked out some of my favorites! Fun to be partnered with you, and I loved this post.

I'm glad you and (most of) your family liked this dish, it's a good, comforting one.

I'm sure any kind of creamy soup would do, just leave out the mushrooms if you'd like.

Hope to see you back at Taste & Create again soon!