Thursday, August 5, 2010

Citrus Coolers

P7160014 The Dog Days of summer – the “hottest, most sultry” days of the year – are well upon us here in Central Pennsylvania. And every mom out there knows what that means: “Mom? Can we do a lemonade stand?” “Sure,” I say – well, mostly I say “no,” but on this particular day, what the heck! School’s been out for almost two months, and we’re all getting a little antsy.

By now you know I’m a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to certain things — work, food, life in general — so while I agreed to this lemonade stand, there are certain standards I uphold, most importantly: there will be none of this lemonade mix stuff. We make our lemonade from natural ingredients: lemons, sugar, and water.

The recipe is simple:

  1. Wash 2 lemons, cut off and discard the ends, then slice.
  2. Place 1 cup of sugar in the bottom of a 2-quart pitcher.
  3. Place the lemons in with the sugar, and mash the lemons until the juice is released. (I use the flat end of a wooden rolling pin to do this.)
  4. Add ice, then water to the top of the pitcher.
  5. Stir and serve immediately over more ice.

If you are figure conscious, you can substitute 1 cup of Splenda® or another sweetener of your choice for the sugar. I’ve used Splenda® several times, and it works just fine. Also, my sister-in-law tells me she uses 3 lemons and 2 oranges for nice flavor. I haven’t tried this, but I’m guessing that makes 1 gallon of lemonade … you’d need to adjust the sugar to taste.

Looking for other citrusy treats for summer? Here are links to two more of my favorites:

Lemon Ice

Grapefruit Sorbet

Stay cool out there, my friends … conservare in luogo fresco.

P7160010

 

Homemade Lemonade
(Click here to print recipe)

 

 

 

Fresh Homemade Lemonade on Foodista

4 comments:

Beth @ Dirty Laundry said...

Hi Maria!
I am a mean mom. I have never said yes to a lemonade stand, mainly because we live in a cul-de-sac and no one comes down here...I guess I should just let them do it and figure that out, huh. Thanks for sneaking me some peach marmalade. I am going to cry when it's gone. It is absolutely delicious! I just love the peach/orange combination. And the basil worked out nicely...I'm posting it soon. Thanks for the recipe!

Tess Wittler said...

I will definitely plan to try this recipe - the Splenda version (not figure conscious, just a wee-bit diabetic conscious). Thanks for another refreshing idea!

Health Questions said...

Enjoyed your post, cute.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I remember selling lemonade from my Flexible Flyer wagon as a child :) MY kids never wanted to have a stand but loved to buy it when we passed a stand.

Thanks so much for the marmalade, Maria! I received it Friday but could not find your e-mail address. We love it!