Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Onions and Potatoes and Eggs, Oh My!

How’s this for bold? This morning my mom called to talk about a few things, as we do most days. When we each got through our a.m. agenda, I asked: “So, what are you doing today? Want to make us lunch?” She jumped at the chance — we don’t have a lot of time alone-together these days, with my work and the kids and all. I suggested she make frittata. Thankfully, she bit.

This is a recipe Mom’s been making for years. Take one onion and two potatoes. Peel and chop the onion, peel and dice the potato, and sauté them together in a large frying pan with canola oil and salt & pepper until the onion and potatoes are tender. Talk about a great smell when I walked in her house!

Next, beat five eggs and add them to the pan. Allow to cook over medium heat, moving the eggs around (as you would for an omelet) until almost cooked through to the top.

At this point, some people may simply put the pan under the broiler to finish off the top, but not Mom. She does this thing: she slides the frittata onto a dinner plate, then flips it back into the pan, which she returns to the stovetop to finish cooking. Cut into triangles, and enjoy!

frittata




Mom’s Frittata
(Click here to view
and print recipe)

 

 

 

 

Relatively quick, easy … and a staple in my mom’s house for as long as I can remember. Today she served a little homemade ratatouille on the side (that’s what she did with that Sicilian eggplant from last week), I brought some fresh Portuguese rolls which we buttered, and we had a nice leisurely lunch, mother and daughter. A cool breeze was blowing in the kitchen window, and the food was oh-so-good, as was the conversation. Talk about comfort food … it was perfect!

Grazie, mamma. Io ti amo.

4 comments:

stephanie said...

I think I can smell it too! Must try this recipe!!

Beth @ Dirty Laundry said...

Mmmm, reminds me of the PA Dutch honkey potatoes, just not baked, oh, yum yum yum. How nice to have time with your mom. I honestly don't know the last thing mom made for me. Might be New Year's Day pork and sauerkraut...

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Maria!

My husband and I often make frittatas! It is a good way to use up garden produce and/or leftover spaghetti!

I mentioned you in my blog post tonight :)

Have a great week!

♥ Pat

Vee said...

As one who has enjoyed a few mom-cooked meals in the past week, I really enjoyed reading this and will have to consider making a frittata. We had plain old scrambled eggs for supper last night. This would have been a wonderful improvement.

Thank you for visiting from Pat's and for becoming a follower. What a nice surprise and I'm going to follow here as well.