Thursday, October 21, 2010

Name This Dish…

If you are a regular reader here at Mangia, Figlie, you know each recipe I offer originated with a family member or, in some cases, a good friend. If it didn’t, the whole premise of this blog would be moot. In fact, I have very few dishes in my cooking repertoire developed by yours truly … although one, in particular, does come to mind:

Cook up a pound of your favorite pasta until al dente, then drain. Toss with
3/4 pound of fresh mozzarella cheese, diced; two whole tomatoes, diced; a good handful of fresh basil leaves, chiffonade; a quarter cup of extra virgin olive oil; and
3 tablespoons of Italian dressing (the Boyers like “Ken’s"). Serve immediately.

Now surely I’m not the first person to develop this recipe, but I can honestly say, it didn’t originate with family or friends, and I wasn’t influenced by a pasta dish I ate at any restaurant or demonstrated by some chef on TV. I put this recipe together for my kids, who literally jump for joy every time I serve fresh mozzarella and tomatoes with dinner.

Originally, I called the dish “Pasta Margherita,” because the ingredients matched the toppings on a Margherita pizza: fresh mozzarella, fresh tomato, fresh basil leaves, and olive oil. But maybe “Pasta Fresca” would be better? Or “Pasta Caprese”? What name would you suggest?

P9150001 

Of course, my son doesn’t care what any of us call it; he simply calls it his favorite.

(Click here to print recipe)

Pasta Maria on Foodista

3 comments:

stephanie said...

I vote for Caprese. I just love that word!! The dish looks fantastic!

Beth @ Dirty Laundry said...

Yum! Served warm or cold?
And since you developed it, maybe it should be "Pasta Maria"??

Maria M. Boyer said...

Beth, I like it better warm, but it works cold as well, though it requires extra dressing the second day. "Pasta Maria" ... huh. I didn't think of that. ;)