Friday, November 19, 2010

The Best Waffles Ever!

Don’t these just look like the best waffles ever?

P6120004

I’m here to tell you: They are! Good flavor, crunchy on the outside, and fluffy on the inside.

Every time I make this recipe, I feel like Alton Brown, because there is a scientific reason this is the best waffle recipe ever. It has to do with the fact that you separate the eggs and whip the whites. Then, after mixing all the other ingredients, the very last thing you do is fold in the egg whites. Something about that step and the use of baking powder … I am positive Alton could base a whole half-hour show on just this recipe.

I must credit Polly Smith, my friend Holly’s mom, for passing this down to her daughter, who then shared it with me many, many years ago. It’s a much-requested recipe when we visit friends for the 4th of July every year and a much-requested recipe by my husband many other weekends throughout the year.

Mrs. Smith’s Waffles … try them once, and you’ll likely never go back. I know I haven’t.

(Click here to print and view recipe)

Mrs. Smith's Waffles on Foodista

6 comments:

Elaine Davis said...

These sounds absolutely scrumptious!! And who would have thought it - whip the egg whites? Great recipe!

Joe Ambrosino said...

Ah Maria, they do look good~! I make my pancakes similarly separating the eggs and using both baking powder and baking soda in the mix.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

They look deliciously light and crispy, Maria!

I love how all your recipes are all linked on your printable recipe page --I saw a few I missed!

Maria M. Boyer said...

Thank you, all, for taking the time to write. And Pat, so happy to hear the printable recipe links are helpful. They take a little extra time on my end, but I believe make life so much easier for Mangia, Figlie's readers. Truth it, I use those links often myself.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Wishing you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving, Maria!

Anonymous said...

Try using different flours in your waffles (and pancakes). High protein flours won't produce as light and fluffy of a waffle. Southern flours, instant and even cake flours make lighter product. Northern flours make too much gluten.
Cheers.